Newspapers and Magazines
Online Resource Tutorials
The Garland Libraries offer on how to use many of our online resources. Learn how to use Value Line, Mango Languages, Testing and Education Reference Center, Chilton Auto Repair and many more. Also included are tutorials on , , , , , , , and .
We have grouped several resource together to make them easier to find:
|Genealogy & History|
|Finance and Investments||Alphabetical List|
Access thousands of newspapers every day, along with 90 days of back issues from national, provincial, and global leading publications. Check out and access all the newspapers in an easy-to-read page view or text view format in a PressReader display. Search articles and publications and set preferences for your daily newspapers. Over 100 countries in 60 languages provide must-have newspapers, and with a press of a button, you can translate your favorites from their original language into more than 16 languages.
How to access PressReader Newspapers and Magazines:
- Download the PressReader app or go to www.pressreader.com
- Click "Sign In" and choose "Library or Group" to get to the unlimited access for Garland Library cardholders.
- Search for Garland Public Library and select it from the list.
- Enter your library card information and PIN to begin reading.
(Formerly Newspaper Source)
Newspaper Source Plus provides a full-text digital collection of the world's major news content. It includes millions of articles from newspapers, newswires and news magazines. In addition, it offers television and radio transcripts and ongoing daily updates from popular news sources.
- Full text for more than 1,200 newspapers
- More than 40 news magazines
- News from more than 130 newswires
- More than 77 million full-text articles
- More than 1.8 million television and radio news transcripts
Daily Updates with News View: ongoing updates throughout the day. Popular sources include:
- AP (Associated Press)
- CNN Wire
- PR Wire
- UPI (United Press International)
- Xinhua (China)
News View also includes television and radio news transcripts from top sources:
- ABC News (American)
- ABC (Australian)
- CBC (Canadian)
- CBS News
- CNN International
- FOX News
- National Public Radio
Newspaper Source Plus is also included in Explora.
A supplemental database for customers of Business Source Complete.
Unlimited access to over 3,000 titles, including top titles like:
- US Weekly
- National Geographic
- Good Housekeeping
- Vanity Fair
- Rolling Stone
- Cook's Illustrated
The magazines can best be accessed through the Libby app or Libby app in a browser. Readers can browse lists of magazines within the app and search to find available titles.
If you aren't able to use the Libby App on your device (such as a Kindle Fire), you can access the Libby app in any browser at https://libbyapp.com/library/nmls. You can also use the original OverDrive app or our OverDrive website instead. These alternatives have the same titles as Libby, but offer slightly different features and device compatibility. The article view feature is only available in Libby.
What happened to the magazines we had?
OverDrive purchased RBdigital so the magazines have moved to OverDrive.
Is there a way to access magazine issues that were previously borrowed via RBdigital?
Yes. Any patron who previously borrowed magazines from RBdigital will be able to access their historical magazine loans by either downloading the free ZINIO app or going to zinio.com. From the ZINIO app or website, patrons can register a new ZINIO account using the same email address they used to access RBdigital. Once registered, their previously borrowed ZINIO magazine loans will be available in their account.
Features PDF content going back as far as 1887, with the majority of full-text titles in native (searchable) PDF format.
Aim to cover all subjects and languages
This resource contains:
- Full-text periodicals covering general reference, business, health, education, general science, multicultural issues and much more
- Full-text more than 500 reference books,
- Over 107,000 primary source documents,
- An Image Collection of over 510,000 photos, maps & flags,
- PDF backfiles (as far back as 1975) for key publications including American Libraries, Foreign Affairs, History Today, Judaism, Library Journal, National Review, Saturday Evening Post, etc.